Friday, October 14, 2011

Meditations for the New Mother.

My mom gave me a book of hers that she was given by a good friend when she had my brother, Joby. The book, written by Helen Good Brenneman, is called "Meditations for the New Mother."

The book is "a devotional book for the new mother during the first month following the birth of her baby."

Now I have to admit that I haven't read it every single day of this first month, but I read it when I can. I have truly treasured my time reading it. It has given me comfort when I feel a little blue and encouragement when I'm weary. I must say I don't want it to end!

At the end of each devotion, there is a brief prayer. The prayer at the end of the third day (which focused on the birth of our Lord) was this:

"Father in heaven, who didst send Thine only Son to us as a little babe, I thank Thee for the miracle of birth. I thank Thee, too, that because a Savior was born into this world, I can be "born again" into the kingdom of God. May the birth of my child remind me of Thy Son who came that I, believing on Him, might have life everlasting. Amen"

What an incredible picture. I will never be able to look at my little Lima Bean again without a heart full of thanksgiving for Christ and His birth - giving us new life in Him!

1 comment: