Thursday, January 6, 2011

Do you seriously have to use the siren?

You know how most homes/apts have a smoke detector in case of a little smoke from an overheated oven? Yeah? Well, come to find out, our place doesn't have one... 


Instead, we just have a fire alarm that the fire department has to come shut off manually. 


Wanna know how I know that? Well let's just say we had some visitors Tuesday night while I was preparing dinner, and they weren't expected dinner guests!  


I was slaving over the kitchen throwing some food together Tuesday night, which included roasted asparagus. Well with our lovely builder grade oven that clearly can't handle high heat very well, our place got a wee bit smokey. By the time I realized it and ran to open the door, I saw the fire alarm flash once. Uh oh. BEEP BEEP BEEP. BEEP BEEP BEEP. BEEP BEEP BEEP. AHH! 


Panicking, after about 5 minutes of ear piercing beeping, Andrew and I decided we should call 911 to see what we should do about getting the alarm shut off. We were informed that a fire truck was on its way. Politely, I requested that she please radio the truck to let them know it wasn't an emergency, so there was no need for a siren. "Too late," she said. Gee, thanks.


Well after 15 minutes of the alarm sounding and our dogs having mental breakdowns, the firemen successfully shut off our alarm. We gave them a few BOGs - Be Our Guest coupons to CFA - and asked them to come visit us again, just don't mention the fire :)


What a night... what a humiliating night. But I'll tell you what... I enjoyed every bite of that roasted asparagus.


No comments:

Post a Comment